The Museum Of Civilization
March 17–August 5, 2018
Part of the Big Read partnership with Oceanside Public Library, this exhibition is based on the Museum of Civilization in the book Station Eleven. In the novel, items such as laptops and high-heeled shoes are displayed as artifacts in the Museum of Civilization by those hoping to preserve the memory of a previous time. Taken for granted 20 years earlier, they are now rendered obsolete in the post-apocalyptic world. Your object could be included in this exhibition, displayed in OMA’s lobby on custom-designed shelving by Luce et Studio and Vincent Designs.
The public is invited to submit items to OMA that represent hallmarks of civilization for the exhibition using the form below. The first round of submissions is open through March 1, 2018.
- ELIGIBILITY: Anyone is eligible to make submissions. Please note: participants must be able to personally transport their object or ship with a return shipping label to OMA. All form fields must be completed for the object to be considered.
- EXHIBIT DURATION: Objects must be available for the full duration of the exhibition, although not all objects will be presented for the full length.
- NUMBER OF SUBMISSIONS: You may submit as many objects as you like.
- SUBMITTING: Submissions may only be done through the form on this website. Submissions emailed or mailed directly to OMA staff will not be considered.
- Two-dimensional or three-dimensional objects, no larger than 60” in any direction. There will be more display spaces for smaller objects, so consider items less than 13” tall x 13” wide x 15” deep.
- Objects may NOT be original artwork by the participant.
- The object must stand alone or be able to be presented on a table-top easel